Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Let's hope for a better day tomorrow........


My day today got off to a terrible start so of course I figured I should blog about it. So, on my way to work today approx 6:45am, I was driving on the icy roads left over from last night and I notice up ahead of me there was a school bus pulled off the side of the road but didn't have any flashers or other lights on. So I slow down even more because I also see that across the street there was a small group of kids and there was no telling what they might do. Keep in mind at this time of day the sun still hasn't' come up yet. So as I'm driving I'm keeping an eye on the bus and the kids and the next thing I know there was an Expedition coming towards me and one of the kids DARTS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER AND SHE NAILED HIM!!! I freak out and grab my phone to call 911. As I'm doing so the lady that hit him grabs a blanket out of her car and wraps the boy up that's now laying in the middle of the street after flying about 20 feet away from where he was hit. The dispatcher asks me how old the boy is and I say he looks about 8yrs. I approach the boy and ask him how old he is and he tells me he's 15. (Ok, it was dark and he had a coat on with a hood over his head, cut me some slack) so I ask him whatever else the dispatcher has me ask him. In the mean time the stinkin bus turns on his flashers-k, I think it's a little late for that! Short story long, the paramedics took him to the hospital that I work at then I found out that he was life flighted to a different hospital. The poor kid but I also felt SOOO bad for the sweet lady that hit him. She just kept saying to me over and over "the bus lights weren't flashing, I would have stopped, I swear they weren't on". So, I had to wait in my car until a police officer could interview me and I thought I would take a picture. It was with my phone so it's not very good quality. The kid had already been taken away at this point. He ended up having several injuries including a nasty leg break. Here's a copy of the story but I don't believe the bus driver tried to warn him not to cross- doesn't make sense. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2575314

12 much appreciated comments:

Vickie said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that. That is so sad. That poor lady. And for you to see it all happen--scary!

The Real Fantastic Four said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hailey said...

I can't believe you were right there!! Stuff like this makes you so grateful for who you have and what you have. So sad...

The Real Fantastic Four said...

Poor kid. Poor lady. That sucks that you had to see it happen.

Travis said...

Have you found out what the bus drivers reason was for not having the flashers on?

The Allen's said...

I hope everything turns out alright for the poor kid. Have you been able to sleep after all that? I hope the bus driver gets the sitation and not the poor lady who hit the kid.

NT Weekes Family said...

WOW! ok, have you been able to sleep after seeing that!?
That Poor lady.... and the kids family. so sad! here is my question?
Aren't kids taught at a very young age to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing the street? I'm not blaming the kid, I just thought a 15 yr old would've done that. The bus driver is a ding dong for not having the flashing lights on.
I know sometims when Logan is picked up and dropped off (it's a Hwy) his bus driver usually waits for the opposing side of cars to pass her before she turns on her lights. I remind Logan everytime he sees the bus "stop" in front of him to pick him up, that he HAS TO WAIT for the LIGHTS first!!!
Sad story... I'm glad you were their for the "Rescue!"

Kristy said...

Wow! I hope everything turns out okay. What an awful thing to witness. I don't know if you remember me. I'm Lindsey's sister Kristy. Sorry to use this comment space to do this considering the circumstances but I don't have a different email for you. Anyways, I'd love to get in touch with you some time. My Email is dkpa1377@yahoo.com

Sarah said...

When I was first reading this I stared tearing up thinking about that boy...and it still is sad but when I found out he was "okay"...whew that made it easier to read. BUT HOLY COW! Why the heck didn't the bus driver have the flashers on?

Kristy said...

Hey shana! It was good to hear from you! We are here in Az with my parents. If fact, we live less than a mile away. We are in the same ward! I would love to see you when/if you come. It has been too long! Do you have a regular email that you use? I would love to keep in touch with you! Love, Kristy

Adam and Kristine said...

Of course I remember you. I just moved back to McMinnville 1.5yr ago from Orem. My Mom, Kelli and my youngest brother Clay are in Spanish Fork. My Dad and other brother Kyle are in PA. I saw your sister's blog too. You guys look great. How funny we both have a Ryder. How is the rest of your family?
Kristine (Kerecman) Asay

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

Oh my goodness that is awful!! I am so sorry you had to witness that and that that had to happen, that poor kid! That poor lady, how aful!