Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Adoption update...I CAN'T HOLD IT IN ANY LONGER!!!


I have been debating on how I want to post this for some time now. About a month ago Jason and I were called by our caseworker and she told me that she wanted us to sit down with her and her supervisor. I thought it sounded kind of unimportant so I told her that we had plans that night so we could meet the next day . She proceeded to tell me that they needed to talk to us right away, preferably at 4:30 that same day. We went down to the agency and sat down with the 2 of them. Her supervisor (Kevin) tells us about a situation where a birth mom is pregnant, has admitted to substance abuse supposedly only until she found out that she was pregnant but since then hadn't used. He also said she "claims" that she's has been to the Doctor but the agency is unable to confirm that so the sex is unknown. And she also informed Kevin that she is in a lot of trouble with the law. He then tells us that they gave her a pile of 12 profiles to look through and that when she got to ours she held it and and said "THIS IS THE FAMILY FOR MY BABY". (That makes me cry every time I say it) Sooooooooo, he tells us to go home, pray about it, fast, go to the Temple and try to make the right decision. We leave the agency and Jason is all excited while I am extremely hesitant and not really feeling the same feelings as him. At this point I was nervous, scared, disappointed and pretty much freaked out. I kept thinking to myself, "everyone else gets this big announcement with flowers and gifts, an ultrasound and gets to meet their birth mom" while we are faced with this HEART WRENCHING decision and a birth mom that never wants to meet us." We mention it to our parents and try to take their advice. We went to the Temple, prayed and prayed and prayed. Finally after a story that Jason's dad told me and reading our p.blessings Jason and I realized that we should say yes to this baby and know that Heavenly Father won't give us anything we can't handle. So, our birth mom is due April 17th, so cross your fingers she sticks with her plan.We are ecstatic, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

P.S. oh yeah, on Friday we learned from Kevin that she has a warrant out for her arrest so if anyone knows where she is, I think jail is sounding like a good home for her at the time. :)

21 much appreciated comments:

Vickie said...

Oh Shana!!! I'm crossing my fingers and toes and arms and eyes for you!!! That's amazing news!

Debbie said...

Shana!!! I am so excited for you! I have been checking your blog daily to see when you would finally post this amazing news! I knew it would happen, and I can't believe it will be so soon! Lots of planning to do, and I will too keep every toe and finger crossed! Congrats to both of you I am so excited!

zfam said...

Oh that makes me want to cry I'm so excited for both of you and I really hope that everything works out for the best for you!

Lindz said...

CONGRATS!! That is such great news! Have fun getting prepared...do you know the sex yet? I know how it goes...its a stressful situation til the very end and that baby is coming home with you! Good luck...I will be checking your blog to see how things are going! =)

amy said...

I'm doing the happy dance for you guys!!!!! That is so exciting! It's funny because out of 3 birthmoms, only our first was the "textbook" story. The other 2 were sooooo different, BUT they were still wonderful experiences, just different than we anticipated (especially this last one). As long as you feel good about it, than keep moving forward. Keep us posted and let's do dinner so we can chat!

Brent and Jessica said...

I am so happy for you guys. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do. Also when and if you find out please let us know what you will be having!

The Johnson's said...

Shana and Jason -
We are so excited for you! We have been praying and praying for you. We thought it would be so great if our babies were close to the same age. We will keeping praying that things will work out the best they can in everyway. We love you guys!

The Todds said...

Shana.....YEAH!!! I just got your comment on my blog and linked to yours and found the GREAT news! I am SO happy for you! That is just amazing news!! Like you said Heavenly Father wont give you anything you cant handle. I just found that out the hard way with the last several weeks at the NICU. I am sure it is stressful and could be a rollercoaster ride, but either way it will just make you stronger. We love you guys and think the world of you. Let us know if we can do anything! And it looks like our babies will be close in age, they can be great buddies!

Lindsey said...

Hey guys
We are so happy for you. We will keep you in our prayers and hope that everything goes smoothly. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. ( even if it is just going to dinner for a short distraction) Keep us updated.
Love, The Brinton Family

The Allen's said...

Shana we are sooooo excited for the two of you! You are going to make excellent parents! Jason is an awesome uncle, so I can only picture him as a great father. We will continue to pray for the two of you and only hope for the best. I can't believe that my mom was able to keep this a secret as long as she did! We love you both and look forward to welcoming a new niece of nephew into our growing family. Congrats!!!

Kristy said...

Shana, That's so exciting. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I wish I was there so I could give you a baby shower! Let me know if there is anything you need or if there is anything I can do for you!

The Real Fantastic Four said...

We were wondering what you guys had decided to do. I'm praying for you guys and also the girl. How exciting for you guys FINALLY!! :)

Hailey said...

SHANA!! I'm so happy for you guys. It will be an amazing blessing and you guys will be the best parents ever!! This little baby will be so lucky to have you guys. I know I've told you but I get so excited to hear news like this because my sister adopted and I LOVE how amazing the whole process is!! It is so neat for everyone!! You guys are so strong and your Heavenly Father knows it. What an amazing couple you guys are. You are so blessed!! We will keep you in our prayers and I am so happy for you!!

Adam and Kristine said...

That is great news. I pray that things will go as planned. What an exciting time:)

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

Oh Sweetie I am so happy for you!! YAY!!!!!!!!! What wonderful news!!! You will make such an amazing Mother! I love y!!

Sarah said...

OH MY HECK!!! WOW..I am sooooo EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS! I will pray that everything works out. I really am so happy for you.

Travis and Gaby said...

WOW!!! What amazing news. We are soooo excited for you guys. We'll be praying for you and for that sweet little one that might soon get to be part of your family. Lot's of love

Nikki said...

Shana - I was so excited to find your blog! It is so cute and you have some fun stuff to look at :) Hope all works out for you guys - that is so exciting and scarry all at the same time. It will be fun to see you guys more...in blog world that is!

Doin' It Digital (Shannon C.) said...

Shana,

I don't know if you know me or not, but I live in your neighborhood and I am in your ward. I linked to your blog a while ago from Hailey's blog - I think. Anyway, Congratulations! I have a brother and sister-in-law that have also adopted and it is so neat. Congratulations!!!

Shannon Croxford

The Capson's said...

Shana, I am so glad that you found me on Blogger. I have thought a ton about you this past year. I am so happy for you. I know that you guys will be able to love this little baby and give it the home it needs. I miss seeing you every month at Nancy's. Hopefully we'll be able to come back and see her again soon. We are still trying, but I realize the Lord's time table is different than ours. Congratulations!!! I am praying for you guys. - Kristen

NT Weekes Family said...

ok, I'm like totally crying!!!
I'm so excited for you guys! :o) ok, I have to stop for a min. I can't see anything...ok, my tears are under control.
The first thing that came to my mind & I'm sure yours is... can I handle a child who might have "special challenges/needs". My answer to you is YES! If I (Tom & I)can do it, you guys totally can! Not Every child is perfect, but the gospel is & that is the greates gift you can give! -- & LoVe! :o) We love you guys & can't wait for that "little" precious baby is placed in your arms!